independent news and opnion

Air raids kill first civilian in Syria’s Idlib since truce

0 1


Russian air strikes on northwest Syria killed an elderly man overnight, the first such casualty since Moscow declared a ceasefire in the jihadist-run region on August 31, a war monitor said.

The truce, which brought a halt to four months of devastating bombardment by the government and its ally Russia on Idlib province, had held despite persistent skirmishes on the ground.

But on Tuesday, Russia carried out its first air strikes in the area since the ceasefire began, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Bombardment continued before dawn on Wednesday in the village of Al-Daher where a 75-year-old man was killed, the Britain-based monitor said, adding that the air raids had since stopped.

The victim — Ahmad Issa al-Moussa — had been displaced to Idlib from Syria’s second city of Aleppo several years ago, an AFP correspondent said.

“We were asleep… when we heard the sound of a missile falling 50 metres away,” said Abu Anas, the victim’s son.

The 31-year-old man said his father was slow to evacuate their home because of difficulty walking.

He died when a second air strike hit two metres away from him, the son added.

The truce was the second such agreement between the Syrian government and jihadists since August 1. The previous one collapsed after just a few days.

The Hayat Tahrir al-Sham alliance led by Al-Qaeda’s former Syria affiliate controls most of Idlib as well as parts of neighbouring Aleppo and Latakia provinces.

The region of around three million people is one of the last holdouts of opposition to forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Related Links

Space War News



Thanks for being here;

We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook – our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don’t have a paywall – with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.


SpaceDaily Contributor

$5 Billed Once

credit card or paypal


SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly

paypal only




WAR REPORT
US, Turkey to start operations in northeast Syria on Sunday: defence minister

Ankara (AFP) Sept 6, 2019


Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said Friday that joint patrols with the United States would begin on Sunday in northeastern Syria in the area marked out to become a “safe zone”.

“We are planning to start joint patrols on September 8,” he told reporters.

An agreement reached on August 7 between Ankara and Washington aims to establish the safe zone between the Turkish border and the Syrian areas east of the Euphrates river controlled by the Kurdish YPG militia, which is an ally of the US but … read more






Source link

You might also like

close
Thanks !

Thanks for sharing this, you are awesome !