Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said that President Trump called him last week to apologize for the bloody fight between Erdoğan’s security and protestors in D.C in May.
Erdoğan told “PBS NewsHour” on Tuesday that Trump had “called me about a week ago about this issue.”
“He said that he was sorry and that he was going to follow up on this issue when we come to the United States within the framework for an official visit,” Erdoğan said.
— PBS NewsHour (@NewsHour) September 19, 2017
A White House spokesman pushed back against Erdoğan’s account, saying the pair had “discussed a wide range of issues but there was no apology.”
A grand jury indicted 19 defendants last month in the brawl that took place outside the Turkish embassy, including 15 Turkish security guards. Sixteen of those indicted were charged in June on criminal complaints.
Two of the defendants were arrested in June after the fight. The rest remain at large.