Colombian officials formally ended on Friday the search for survivors of floods in southwest Colombia that killed at least 314 people, including 102 children – though 106 people remain listed as missing.
Surging rivers triggered by torrential rains last week sent an avalanche of floodwaters, mud and debris through the small southern city of Mocoa, causing widespread destruction.
“Without adverse conditions, a person can survive a long time, but with the quantity of mud and rocks in Mocoa, that is very difficult,” said Manuel Infante, who has been leading volunteer firefighters who arrived from Cali.
“I’d say that the missing are dead,” he added.
Emergency workers will turn to excavating roads and buildings, distributing aid and trying to avoid the outbreak of epidemics in the town, where water and power services remained cut a week after the avalanche of debris-filled water poured down from the mountains.
Defense Minister Luis Carlos Villegas said it “will take a generation” to completely restore the city.
|Heavy rains caused a mudslide that devastated Mocoa, leaving 314 dead and hundreds more homeless [EPA]|
The measure will allow direct contracting of services without the need for formal, more time-consuming procedures.
|A mass funeral was held in Mocoa after heavy rains and mudslide killed hundreds [EPA]|
Edgardo Maya, the national comptroller, said the investigation was “not about punishment; it’s about prevention”.
“What good does it do to punish people now, after so many deaths?” he said.
The hardest-hit areas were impoverished neighbourhoods populated by residents uprooted during Colombia’s five-decade civil war.
Colombia : Investigation begins for Mocoa disaster
Source: News agencies