A two-alarm fire ripped through a multi-unit home in Taunton Friday morning, displacing 14 residents and injuring two, fire officials said.
“We’re thankful that the home had working smoke detectors, which absolutely contributed to saving the lives of all the residents inside,” said Taunton Fire Chief Timothy Bradshaw in a statement.
Two of the residents, an elderly man and woman, were taken to Morton Hospital with minor injuries that are not believed to be life threatening, according to the statement.
Responders tried to put out the remaining fire from inside the home, but the blaze had spread into the walls of the building, forcing them to retreat back outside, the statement said.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the bulk of the fire and crews were able to safely reenter the home to put out any remaining hot spots. The damage was extensive and the house was ruled a “total loss,” according to Bradshaw.
The scene was cleared about 11 a.m., said Bradshaw.
One firefighter was checked for signs of smoke inhalation and cleared on site.
The American Red Cross is working with the displaced families to see their needs are met, the statement said.
Andrew Grant can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.