Your SEO optimized title page contents

Mother and children in ‘critical condition’ after carbon monoxide leak in Smithfield, RI

0 4





A carbon monoxide leak in a Smithfield, R.I. home left a woman in critical condition after she and three of her children were rushed to a hospital Wednesday, fire officials said.

The Smithfield Fire Department received a call around 8:30 p.m. from a man who reported that his family was unconscious in their home, Captain Michael Dexter said. The children are 7, 9, and 11.

Advertisement

The man refused treatment, he said. The condition of the children was not immediately available.

When firefighters measured the carbon monoxide level inside the home, their devices maxed out, Dexter said. The concentration was more than 500 parts per million throughout the ranch-style home.

There were no working carbon monoxide or smoke alarms inside the house, Dexter said, though the property’s owner said devices had been installed there.

The family had been renting the home, which was owned by the Greenville Public Library, since 2013, according to, Nick Loring, treasurer and trustee of the library.

The cause of the carbon monoxide leak is under investigation, but likely caused by a malfunction with the heating system in the home, Dexter said.

Advertisement


Loring said he did not know the status of the carbon monoxide and smoke alarms in the home, but he said they were there.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family after this unfortunate incident,” he said.

The library and the tenants share joint responsibility for the maintenance and care of the property, Loring said.

He said the tenants are supposed to notify the library of any major issues, and that the library had not been notified of any issues with the heating.

Maddie Kilgannon can be reached at maddie.kilgannon@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @MaddieKilgannon.



Source link

You might also like

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.